Skip to Main Content
PCMag editors select and review products independently. If you buy through affiliate links, we may earn commissions, which help support our testing.

Apple's Sept. 12 iPhone Event Is Probably in Cupertino

Hotel availability shows that people are preparing for a big launch event in Cupertino, not in San Francisco.

By Sascha Segan
August 30, 2017
Apple Park

The Wall Street Journal says Apple is announcing its new iPhones—and, probably, a new Apple Watch and Apple TV—on Sept. 12, and there's no reason to disbelieve them. Apple's iPhone events have been on a Tuesday or Wednesday during the first two weeks of September for the past several years.

With invitations sent out a week in advance, it's already too late for invitations to have gone out for a Sept. 6 event, so Sept. 12 looks like the date. That begs the question: will it be in San Francisco or at the new Apple Park campus in Cupertino?

This is an interesting question because there hasn't been a lot of public access to Apple Park yet, and especially to its new, 1,000-seat Steve Jobs Theater. If the event is held at the theater, it would be the first major event Apple has had there.

Apple typically brings a few hundred developers, partners, and friends to its product launches, and it needs rooms for them. For Sept. 11, Expedia shows every hotel in Cupertino to be sold out. Check a week earlier, on Sept. 6, and there are rooms available at four major chain hotels near the Apple campus.

Cupertino Hotels for Apple Event

There's a small convention nearby in Santa Clara called PCB West, but the hotels along El Camino Real in Santa Clara aren't sold out; there are still rooms at the Ramada and Quality Inn in the area, the kind of chains frequented by conventioneers. But the universal, grayed-out status of hotels in Cupertino says there's going to be a lot of action around the Apple campus.

Apple's typical second choice, recently, has been the larger Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco; it has also done events at the California Theatre in San Jose. Hotel availability around those areas looks much better on Expedia, with plenty of affordable rooms. Now, San Francisco has a lot more rooms than Cupertino does in general, but Expedia isn't even saying it's a particularly busy day for San Francisco.

Hotels in SF for Apple Event

Downtown San Jose, at the lower right-hand corner of the graphic below, looks pretty booked up, but there's a lot of availability up by the airport. Downtown being booked up is a little suspicious because there's no convention going on in San Jose that week, so I'm sticking with the Cupertino idea.

San Jose hotels for Apple event

Like What You're Reading?

Sign up for Fully Mobilized newsletter to get our top mobile tech stories delivered right to your inbox.

This newsletter may contain advertising, deals, or affiliate links. Subscribing to a newsletter indicates your consent to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe from the newsletters at any time.

Thanks for signing up!

Your subscription has been confirmed. Keep an eye on your inbox!

TRENDING

About Sascha Segan

Lead Analyst, Mobile

I'm that 5G guy. I've actually been here for every "G." I've reviewed well over a thousand products during 18 years working full-time at PCMag.com, including every generation of the iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy S. I also write a weekly newsletter, Fully Mobilized, where I obsess about phones and networks.

Read Sascha's full bio

Read the latest from Sascha Segan